Thursday, October 1, 2009

Organic in more ways than one...


From the downtown farm stand...

In the last two years or so, Muncie opened a "farm stand" in a downtown store front.  It's basically a really, really small version of a Trader Joe's, which you all know is one of my favorite places to grocery shop!  Although the prices are high, I have started to do SOME of my shopping there because one, I love the way organic fruit and veggies taste and two, I love supporting local businesses.  It's one of those things that I've been meaning to do forever and just haven't done.  Pushing, pushing, pushing myself out of my comfort zone these days.  

Attempting to eat somewhat organically inspired me to push myself to think organically as well.  When I started this blog, I named it Grass Roots Effort for a reason; my soul is constantly wanting to "get back to basics" live as God intended us to.  I lose sight of that so easily but God always brings me back again.  

I had a great lunch with my pops this week and we had a long talk about the role faith plays in our lives.  At one point in the conversation, he compared me to his mother and my heart warmed even more than it had been.  Although I haven't had the opportunity to get to know my grandma very well because of distance, there is one thing I've always known about her.  That woman LIVES her faith.  It's not something she does so that she can look good to her friends. She could care less about how much money someone has or how they're dressed or that their sin is more visible or public than hers.  She's organic in the way she loves others because that's what the Bible commands of her.  

I think that churches are beautiful.  I know that there will never be a perfect church, regardless, they are beautiful.  Believers getting together to express their love of the God they serve.  Honestly, what could be more aw-inspiring than that, people?  I think we have to be careful though. We have to remember what we are called to do here on earth for God's kingdom. If you want to know the truth, I think we miss the mark BIG time in our country sometimes in regards to how we express our Christian faith.  We get so caught up in stuff that we don't remember that our calling is to "go and make disciples of all nations."  We are not called to live in bubbles where we associate only with Christians who believe what we believe in. Who are we really reaching for God's Kingdom when we live this way?  What are we scared of - faltering in our faith?  We have to have more faith in our God than that! We cannot believe that if we leave the places we are comfortable and reach out to those that NEED God's love that we will somehow be sucked into "their" world.  Here's the shocker - it's "our" world too - because we are ALL destined to be imperfect sinners!

Organic Faith.  I don't think the Christian Bookstores offer a book on this topic.  Except, of course, in the Bible section of the store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment