Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Beyond the Gate


Stomping new grounds...

Many movies, most of which, I have admittedly never seen, begin with a character pushing through an old rusty gate and delicately stepping into the world beyond. As the character tip toes through the newly discovered habitat, she pauses abruptly when she hears the call of a creature far above her. Eyes darting back and forth, breath audible and labored, the character takes a moment to collect herself and then ventures forward. By the time the credits begin to role, this maiden is comfortable in her "new" land and has an almost unbelievable attachment to not only the land but her fellow inhabitants as well.

Although my upcoming move to Florida will not include learning to speak in clicks while riding a half lion, half seagull monstrosity, the standard gate does still exist. My hands will need to wrap around the iron and push, at some point, out of my life here in Muncie and into my life in the sunshine state. While I don't want to create, in my mind, an over importance of this move, I do want to have reverence for what it means for my life.

Flowing and violently bouncing between peace, happiness, terror, anxiety and back to peace since the moment the decision was made, I have learned a thing or two about life changes. And so, naturally, I have provided a short list of precautions and blessings for others to keep in mind:

1. Pick a song that you know will inspire you to keep plugging toward the goal and listen to it often. I have found this technique particularly useful when the urge to pack myself in a box without regard to where I may end up, bubbles to the surface.

2. Don't place a higher level of importance on the move than necessary. You are not the president and therefore, your location in this country doesn't have much significance. Except, of course, to the ones you love and love you. In that case, things will figure themselves out because where there is love...there are free visits to the beach. (if you are the president and have stumbled upon my blog, you may omit this particular number from your list. Oh, and I love you and think you're amazing.)

3. Expect everything in regards to mail and change of address to go wrong because it will. Smile knowing that for at least the six months it takes the USPS to catch up with your forwarding address card, the Urban Outfitters magazine you never signed up for, will cease.

4. Get comfortable not having a damn clue what the next couple of months holds. When people ask the question, "What are you going to do in ________?" begin to laugh wildly with a crazy look in your eye until the questioning ceases. Take comfort in the fact that people have left their jobs before to pursue much more eclectic dreams than your own. Like the people who sell deer urine to hunters...imagine telling that to your friends.

5. Finally, just laugh it off and remember that life is life. No matter if you wake up happy or sad, in the place where you want to be or in a place where you don't, the world keeps turning. Be a person of substance and just have fun, no matter where you are or what you're occupying your time with!

1 comment: