Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ebbs and Flows

"The flowing in and out of the tide..."

A simple phrase. A simple definition. When applied scientifically, not a truly interesting or in depth concept. Ebbs and Flows: in common terms, when water reaches the shore and retreats into the mass of itself.

In life, however, ebbs and flows are intrinsically interesting and captivating in their delight as well as their shortcomings. When a person reaches a point of "ebbs," he or she will inevitably reach the point of "flows." For the faint of heart, I would recommend a constant state of "ebbing" as I have found recently that "flowing" is a rather difficult and heart penetrating task of sorts.

The ocean understands itself, if only by communication known only to it's inhabitants. A language of ocean clicks and chatter that to the common, none ocean dwelling ear, nonsense. But, just as a person breaths in air and exhales just the same, the ocean knows it's person and understands when the bell chimes for the retreat, the slow, mesmerizing, graceful unclenching of sand on the shore.

Although I have applied this ebbs and flows theory to times in my life prior, I find it all the more fitting in the days leading up to my journey south and a comfortable landing place on the shores of the ocean of which I speak.

Although the fluidity with which I except this retreat has had it's bumps full of balling, crying, snotty messiness, I am confident that I, as the ocean know my person well enough to know that the bell has chimed and it is my obligation to myself and those that have fostered all the good I have, to respond accordingly.

The beauty of the ocean tide is that, proven by the theory, it always returns to the place from whence it was birthed. Frequently, passionately, excitedly, it flows, time and again to it's home.

I find this organic foundation comforting in this transition and I am thankful that the forces I have been blessed to be attached to in my years leading up to now, are most definitely strong enough to bring me back...frequently, passionately, excitedly from whence I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment