Wednesday, November 10, 2010

And down go the left-overs...

1.

2.

3.

Waste Not...Want Not.

In an effort to reduce waste, I am truly trying to find recipes just to use up those pesky left overs. Tonight as I ate my dinner and watched an episode of "The Office" (my current dinner tradition), I felt as though a little gift had fallen into my culinary world. The best thing about tonight's dinner is that I was able to stay within all of my current goals for changing up the eating routine!

Rice Balls (I'll admit...the name could use some tweaking)
1 cup cooked rice (make sure the rice is fully cooled if you are using fresh and not left-over)
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon dried basil or oregano (after trying this, I would actually recommend oregano)
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder (I am obsessed with garlic. If you're not, use less!)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup dried bread crumbs
2 cups olive or vegetable oil
Optional: 1/4 lb. mozzarella cheese, cubed

1.Whisk eggs, Parmesan cheese, basil or oregano, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.

2.Add rice to egg mixture (remember, the rice needs to be cool or the eggs will scramble)

3.Roll rice mixture into 1 inch balls and coat in dried bread crumbs
*If you would like, add a small cube of mozzarella cheese to the center

4.Heat oil in saucepan until a piece of rice sizzles when dropped in (350 degrees)

5.Occasionally flip rice balls to encourage even browning and cook until desired color

6.Drain on paper towel, serve with marinara sauce and ENJOY!

What I am discovering is that I am truly enjoying the challenge of using all of my left overs and wasting very little!


1 comment:

  1. We're in the process of cleaning out our cupboards, fridge, deep freeze, etc., so we're right there with ya, girl! Some interesting meals are coming to the Crowes...

    ReplyDelete